What is appropriate and not appropriate to post on "Studs in Stone"

• admin
  • admin's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
3 years 9 months ago #4256 by admin
I've made a sticky on the PICTURE subforum after I had to remove images at the request of the original artist.

Please do not post copyrighted material here unless you have the copyright to do so. That means you're the original artist or you commissioned an artist for the material and you ASKED about posting it elsewhere. You can also ask the artist and get their permission to post it here. If they say "NO" then please do not post it.

I'm sure several of you would point out that I (as Freyr) and others have posted images here wherein we're not the original artist of the photo, it was found online. This gets us into a grey area of the law. Because of the nature and speed of the Internet, images can be distributed so quickly and easily it's not possible to tell who the artist is (or was). Given that, I ask all our visual artists to be careful where you get your material. If I do get a complaint about it, I will take the material off this site. If the offender continues to post material and I get complaints, that person will be banned from this website. I'm sorry to sound so harsh but I can get into serious legal trouble if I don't act at the behest of the artist.

This thread is also to discuss, raise questions and clarify any related to this topic. I'll do my best to respond as quickly as I can but my life is still in turmoil following the passing of my husband. Thank you for understanding.
The following user(s) said Thank You: boxx, puckbot, CultofHam, StoneloverX

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
3 years 9 months ago - 3 years 9 months ago #4262 by Knight Stone
Based on this, I would like to suggest that authors should probably refrain from posting fan fiction as many if not all of the characters created for various movies and TV shows are copyright protected. This is especially true of characters from shows and movies based off comic books and novels which more than likely are doubly copyrighted. I am suggesting this refrain for two simple reasons.
One, while this is an adult site and protected by ID verification, it is too easy these days for people to figure out how to bypass said verification and Googling said characters can possibly link searchers to this site. I know this has not happened yet (as far as we know), but it would be better to prevent it from happening instead of trying to react after it does.
Two, a deliberate search of this site may happen if someone learned of copyright protected characters being used in stories that could alter perception of how those characters are or should be portrayed, and could be viewed as defamatory to the characters as they are represented in the movies, television, books, etc. that we are familiar with.
Yes, I know that many of us have fantasies about various characters and how those may apply to themes as represented by this site, but before you post those fantasies here, I would suggest you run it by the administrators first to make sure it is safe to do so before any negative backlash befalls the site. There are so few ASFR sites regarding male transformation, especially ones implying or exploring gay themes, we should each be doing our part to protect the integrity of the ones that DO still exist.
Sorry if this offends anyone as it is not intended to do. This is just me expressing my concerns to the group in general.
Last edit: 3 years 9 months ago by Knight Stone.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Freyr, Stoneboner, admin, StoneloverX, 1346795

• Eriknl77
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
3 years 9 months ago #4266 by Eriknl77
I had the same thing, with an image for my work, and was fined for 550 euro (at least my company was, but still).
Deviant Art removed my photo manipulations and captions for this reason and it's true, you can only post it with permission of the original artist, esp photos.

However, that being said, I also am in close touch with creators of a comic I follow my entire life, and they have explained to me their problems with protecting their art.
Fan art, so drawn characters, are allowed. BUT... as long as you don't make money from it.
sharing originals is a no-go, asking money for it is a no-go. but forums like these, with no payment required, are allowed for fans to share fan art, based on existing characters.
But... as said before, it is a grey area. For me, for my patreon, because it generates a small amount of cash, I have stepped away from making anything from existing art. It's still up, for those to be able to save it, but in about a month, it will all be taken down.

I think, as a whole, we all should take note and just be careful with it, because almost all images that are made with photos found online are copyright material for which no permission has been given.
But lets also be honest, Tumblr existed a long time with lots of work like that, and I've never heard anyone being fined for manipulating a photo and posting it on there, without receiving any payment for it.
So, I wouldn't worry too much about the art that's already available here.

More
3 years 9 months ago #4267 by boxx
In the past I had used images from the internet and other places. I would change the photo to my liking. Tweaking the photo so It would not be an issue. If this is an issue please let me know and I will delete my works. So as to not cause any trouble. I also have taken to using model friends from This site who want to pose for me mostly nudes. With their total consent. Plus posting my one of a kind hand drawn Art comics. Hope this helps with any problems that may arise. Thank you Boxx
The following user(s) said Thank You: admin

• admin
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
3 years 9 months ago - 3 years 9 months ago #4268 by admin
The following is a list of what is and is NOT acceptable artwork for "Studs in Stone".

First, just to confirm this. Artwork, visual or written must be relevant to this site. It must be ASFR related and show males, identified or genetic, as the subject of ASFR. If you have any questions about the relevancy of the artwork to "Studs in Stone" please contact me BEFORE you post it. I define artwork as a hand-made, photographed or computer-generated visual depiction or written story that portrays people engaged in ASFR.

WHAT IS NOT ACCEPTABLE ON "STUDS IN STONE"

1) Artwork that your did not create or commission and you do not have permission to post elsewhere . This includes images, video, GIFs and written material. To expand on this, if you did not commission the artwork and do not have permission of the owner and/or artist, then please DO NOT post it on "Studs in Stone".

Images and artwork of private persons you find online for example thru Twitter or Instagram, cannot be be posted to "Studs in Stone" unless you have their permission to do so. If you have their verbal or written permission, then it's acceptable to post it.

Please do not grab image from various online sources and post it on "Studs in Stone" without any references to the original source and without asking the original poster. You might be surprised at the answer if you ask for it. Many people are flattered when you tell them you like the image and want to post it elsewhere. Of course, if you cannot get permission, then DO NOT post it.

2) When the artwork is of unknown origin, when the subject and/or artist is unknown or cannot be reasonably determined, then the poster assumes all responsibility for posting it to "Studs in Stone". If I, the Admin, receive a complaint about a specific piece of artwork, I'll take it down. If the poster continues to post and receive complaints, said poster will be banned.

WHAT IS ACCEPTABLE TO POST ON "STUDS IN STONE"

1) Artwork that the original poster created by whatever means. This includes images, hand-drawn or computer generated, videos, GIFs and written material. If you created it and want to share it, the please do so.
Artwork that you have permission to post on "Studs in Stone". You've spoken to the original artist and/or subject and have permission.

2) Commission artwork that you, the poster, received and paid for.

3) The nature of the Internet allows us to share lots of material. You can share images and videos from YouTube, Twitter and Instragram and other sources. By sharing material this way, it allows the original artist to keep their ownership of the material and letting it be shared for everyone's enjoyment. At the very least, you can copy/paste the URL for the artwork and we can visit the artist's site to enjoy it. If you do this, make sure you acknowledge the artist and the source where you found the artwork.
This is different from the first rule under "WHAT IS NOT ACCEPTABLE". By sharing it thru links on the Internet you're showing something you found and the artist/subject generally wants to share. If in doubt, ask permission.
Last edit: 3 years 9 months ago by admin.

• admin
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
3 years 9 months ago #4269 by admin
This list is open to interpretation and changes as time goes on. It is meant as a set of guidelines and not hard and fast rules.
The following user(s) said Thank You: shandracoxx

More
3 years 9 months ago #4285 by ReptilessGorgon
So, wanting to get a bit of clarification on something on what we can post. Would photo edits fall under things we credited or things we shared? For example, taking a photo that's a picture of a guy we got from the internet and edited to make him into a statue. Would that fall under images we share, thus needing to post a link to the original source?

Or what about photo edits where we take 2-3 images and mashed them all together to create something new. Such as taking an image of a character from a show, putting their head on a different body, and the background is stock photo of a (for example) basement? How should we approach that?

Third and final thing, just wanting to get some clarification on fan works, image or written. Are we still allowed or for safety should we just avoid it? In the case of the second, can we instead of parody of characters. For example instead of Superman can we write/illustrate Stupendous Man/SuperGuy?

I wanted to ask because I made a few I was going to post and wanted to know if I should take a bit of time to re-edit/write things.
The following user(s) said Thank You: admin

• Eriknl77
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
3 years 9 months ago #4293 by Eriknl77
by basic copyright law you have to have permission by the original artist to modify and repost an image. that's as simple as it works, because just refering to a source is not enough. That said, it would mean basically all photomanipulations that have been previously posted do not meet that requirement.
But should SiS then remove them all? I don't think so (yet), since Deviant Art (in the past also Tumblr), Twitter and other forums that are much more open to the public (SiS is hidden completely behind a login) contain images that are similar.
If you have no permission of the artist and want to post, then maybe it's best to just post a link to the source. If it's a modified image, well, then the rules above apply . This is all a matter of good sense and behavior online. In the end, no matter how hot an image is, if you don't own the rights to it (and making an edit, still doesn't make you owner of the rights) you can't treat it like it's yours to share without permission and/or source.

• admin
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
3 years 9 months ago - 3 years 9 months ago #4302 by admin
Clarifications to acceptable and unacceptable artwork

One hard and fast rule, NO UNDERAGE MODELS!!

Written work

If you create a wholly new story with your own characters, this is fine to post on SiS and I encourage it.

If you use others' characters, this is a grey area. It's generally accepted to be fan fiction and as long as you don't make money from it, it's acceptable. Such work can be accepted with an acknowledgement to the original authors. A sentence or two at the beginning of the story saying "based upon characters from 'Marvel' or 'DC' comics, etc" is acceptable.

Other's work. Don't post it here. Provide a link to it, if possible. Otherwise, you can talk about it, but please DO NOT post it.

Images and manipulated images

If you created the original image feel free to post it here. If you manipulate an image you created, again feel free to post it. If the image is a combination of several sources, that's a grey area. For now, I'll accept it and investigate the legal ramifications.

Images found online. This is where we have problems. First, determine who is the original artist. Then ask their permission to either manipulate the image or re-post it on SiS. Many images already on SiS were taken from online sources and finding the original artist is nearly impossible. I'm not going to stop this practice but be warned, if the original artist complains about it, the artwork will be removed.

Finding/asking the original artist isn't that difficult sometimes. You can find lots of images on Twitter or Instagram or other sources that would make great manipulations. In this case finding the original artist is easy. Please ask their permission! If they don't give their permission, then please DO NOT post the artwork here. Instead, provide a link to the site where you found the work. If I get angry complaints about artwork being "stolen" or "used without permission" that artwork or manipulation will be removed and the offending user possibly banned.

Videos

Since we cannot upload videos, providing links is the best and safest way to share ASFR material that you find.

A practice I want to encourage, acknowledgement of your sources. If you've ever written at college or university level, you know how important it is. For written work, if you use characters and situations based on someone else's work, acknowledge them at the beginning of your work.

If you created the image, I encourage you to create a copyright mark or sigil to indicate its your work. If you borrowed the original image, after getting permission to manipulate it, acknowledge it with the name of the artist and possibly a link to their own webpage. If you use an image wherein you cannot determine the original artist, acknowledge it was found online.

If you don't have permission to re-post artwork, either written or an image, a link to the artist's website and an explanation why you're linking there is good.

I think I've covered most situations here and I've tried to clarify the rules as much as I can. If you have any questions, please ask here or shoot me, Admin, a pvt. msg.
Last edit: 3 years 9 months ago by admin.

• Eriknl77
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
3 years 8 months ago #4307 by Eriknl77

admin wrote: Clarifications to acceptable and unacceptable artwork

Finding/asking the original artist isn't that difficult sometimes. You can find lots of images on Twitter or Instagram or other sources that would make great manipulations. In this case finding the original artist is easy. Please ask their permission! If they don't give their permission, then please DO NOT post the artwork here. Instead, provide a link to the site where you found the work. If I get angry complaints about artwork being "stolen" or "used without permission" that artwork or manipulation will be removed and the offending user possibly banned.

If you wish to find out who the original artist is, then consider doing a reverse search on Google, where you upload the image you altered (the original or altered version) and then search for sourses. You will find the image is often used on many locations that do add a source to their post. it is a little more work, but you will also be a little bit more certain to know your creation will not be deleted.

Time to create page: 0.165 seconds